Himalayan Art Resources (HAR)
22 Jun 2007
Shelley & Donald Rubin Foundation, New York, NY, US.
"An online educational resource with over 25,000 images. The mission of the Himalayan Art Resources website (HAR) is to create a comprehensive education and research database and virtual museum of Himalayan art: First, the website exhibits images of art from museum, university and private collections throughout the world. Second, the website documents all Himalayan art objects that are known through past or present collections or publications. Third, the database identifies and catalogues all images (comprised of painting, sculpture, ritual objects, murals, etc.). When an object image is not available for lack of permission from the copyright holder, the database uses a place card image. Book cover images are used for publications and generic place cards for collections.
Submitting Images - Museums, institutions and private collectors of Himalayan art are invited, and encouraged, to submit images for cataloguing and display. To submit an image for consideration, please send a digitized image, by e-mail or CD, preferrably 1000 dpi in size. Additionally, you must submit a written statement attesting to your ownership of either the object itself or the rights to the image being submitted."
* About us;
* Colllections [in America, Asia, Europe] (Museums and Institutions, Photographic Archives, Private Collections, Publications);
* Index (General People Iconography (GENERAL INDEX, INDEX OF ART SUBJECTS, PEOPLE: Indian Names, Tibetan Names, ICONOGRAPHY: Bon Buddhist Female Deities Hindu);
* Search (Bhutanese Art, Bon art; Gandharan art; Nepalese art; Sculpture and Artifacts; Tibetan Buddhist Art; Search by ID number; Search by keyword);
* Introduction (INTRODUCTION: Maps of Enlightenment by James Shaheen, A Virtual Museum: Himalayan Art Resources by Barry Boyce, Virtual Treasures: The Himalayan Art Project to the rescue by Joan Duncan Oliver, Buddhist Artifacts as the Support of Spiritual Realization by Tulku Thondup, Tibetan Religious Thangkas and their Religious Significance by Tulku Thondup, Visual Dharma: The Buddhist Art of Tibet by Chogyam by Trungpa Rinpoche, ART HISTORY: The Development and Symbolism of Tibetan Buddhist Art and Iconography by Peter Della Santina, Painting Styles in the Rubin Collection: Identifications and Clarifications by David Jackson, Myth and Symbolism by Peter Della Santina, The Identification of Individual Teachers in Paintings of Sa-skya-pa Lineages by D.P. Jackson, PHOTO ALBUMS: Tibet in black and white: The images presented here reflect aspects of journeys in 1990 and 2002 by Matthew T. Kapstein, Chortens in Amdo: A Photographic Album by Rob Linrothe, The Great Applique Tangka of Drepung Monastery a photo essay by Nancy Jo Johnson, Historical Photographs of Tibet primarily made by Sonam Gyatso Thartse Khen Rinpoche (1930-1988), Recent Photos of Tibet Ancient sites in Tibet and the Himalayas by Michael Katz, Images of Kham Photos from the 1990's of the monasteries, people and landscape of Eastern Tibet by Joseph Duane, Shalu Association Photographs documenting conservation and restoration projects in the Tibet Autonomous Region (TAR));
* New on the site;
* Links (Geographic Region: Bhutan, Gandhara (ancient), India & South Asia, Mongolia, Nepal, Tibet (China), Subject: Academic Studies, Archaeology, Architecture, Arhats, Art - Iconography, Art Exhibitions, Biography, Block Print Images, Conservation, Dance, Jataka - Previous Life Stories, Mahasiddha, Mandalas, Miscellaneous, Museums (Asia), Museums (Europe), Museums (North America), Organizations, Painting, Photo Exhibits, Sculpture, Textiles, Texts & Manuscripts);
* Collection Help;
* Paintings with Chinese descriptions;
* Newsletter (March - April 2007, January - February 2007, November - December 2006, September - October 2006, Summer 2006);
Internet Archive (web.archive.org) [Not archived. Access to the site has been blocked by the site owner via robots.txt]
Link reported by: T. Matthew Ciolek (tmciolek--at--coombs.anu.edu.au)
* Resource type [news - documents - study - corporate info. - online guide]:
* Publisher [academic - business - govt. - library/museum - NGO - other]:
* Scholarly usefulness [essential - v.useful - useful - interesting - marginal]:
* External links to the resource [over 3,000 - under 3,000 - under 1,000
- under 300 - under 100 - under 30]: under 3,000 [in fact, 1120]
Please note that the above details were correct on the day this post was published. To suggest an update, please email the site's editor at firstname.lastname@example.org